The home inspection profession is regulated in South Dakota, and PHII's home inspector certification can help you get started! South Dakota requires new home inspectors to complete several steps before applying for a home inspector license. Follow the path below to become a licensed home inspector in South Dakota.
How to Become a Registered Home Inspector in South Dakota:
1) Complete high school or high school equivalency.
2) Complete an approved home inspector course of not less than 40 hours. (PHII is fully approved)
3) Pass the National Home Inspector Examination for South Dakota administered by www.goamp.com
4) Submit an application with fee to the South Dakota Real Estate Commission.
5) Receive approval from the South Dakota Real Estate Commission.
How to Become a Licensed Home Inspector in South Dakota:
1) Become a Registered Home Inspector.
2) Be employed at the registered level for at least one year and performed at least 100 home inspections for compensation.
3) Upgrade to Licensed Home Inspector by submitting a completed Experience Log to the South Dakota Real Estate Commission.
Note: There is no distinction between the duties and responsibilities of a licensed home inspector and those of a registered home inspector.
Additional Steps to Advance Your South Dakota Home Inspection Career
1) Join a Professional Home Inspector Association. PHII pays for your first year of membership in the North American Association of Home Inspectors (AHI). Many states also have their own home inspector associations you can join for networking opportunities.
2) Join a Multi-Inspector Company in South Dakota to gain experience, or start your own business. Established home inspection companies in South Dakota are always looking for new home inspectors to work for them. Businesses provide benefits, professional insurance and home inspection scheduling.
3) Register Your Own Business in South Dakota and obtain general liability insurance and/or errors and omissions (E&O) insurance. Home inspector insurance policies are affordable and will protect you against career-ending lawsuits. Build your own home inspection business in South Dakota and enjoy the success that follows!
PHII's online home inspection training and certification course is approved for all pre-license education requirements in South Dakota. PHII's base of operation is in Madison, SD.
PHII's South Dakota home inspection certification is approved by real estate and building commissions, and major insurance providers. PHII is also affiliated will major professional associations including ASHI, AHI, CREIA, and FABI. The home inspector certification material for South Dakota is aligned with national standards of practice for home inspectors and is updated regularly. We teach South Dakota students the key information that they must inspect for and include in the home inspection report.
Every lesson is concise and written in clear language that is easy to understand. Our interactive South Dakota home inspection certification course is designed in-house by experienced and qualified home instructors who understand the trade and how to teach it. PHII offers the most complete, self-paced South Dakota home inspection training on the market today. You receive instant online access and have an option to receive course materials that are shipped to you. Our course management system is unmatched in features and interactive technology.
You can access the South Dakota home inspection training on wi-fi devices including tablets and smart phones, and the course can be completed in as little as 1-2 weeks. Unlike other online courses, there is no time limit, so you can take as much time as you need. Become a South Dakota home inspector at whatever pace you set, quickly or over time. Your home inspector certification course never expires!
Free 1-YEAR AHI Membership for South Dakota Home Inspector Graduates
Upon achieving home inspector certification, PHII can offer all South Dakota home inspector graduates a free $289 membership in the North American Association of Home Inspectors (AHI), a national non-profit professional home inspector association.
Looking for Online Home Inspector Training Outside of South Dakota?
The first step in starting your home inspector career is to understand the path to a home inspector license. The process can be simple or lengthy depending on the state or province. In some cases you can train entirely online to obtain your home inspector license or certification. In other cases you can train online and complete field training to meet home inspector requirements. Even if your location does not require a home inspector license, you still need to be properly trained and certified in order to stand out from the competition. That is where home inspector certification from PHII gives you the advantage because we go beyond the minimum training a home inspector needs so that you can hit the ground running. PHII is also there to support you along the way as you start inspecting and need help if you run into problems. Start by understanding your state or provincial requirements by clicking the links below to popular locations where PHII offers online certification opportunities.
Home Inspector License in the U.S.
Home Inspector Licence in Canada
PHII offers home inspector continuing education and numerous certifications to help you learn more, earn more and grow your home inspection business. At PHII our mission is to provide you with the best home inspector training to prepare you for a successful real estate career, along with the support you need down the road. PHII-trained home inspectors are never alone. With PHII, your home inspector training is truly at your pace. You always have access to PHII course material and support. Every online certification course comes with lifetime access.
Office Hours 8am - 8pm CST Mon-Fri, 9am - 1pm Sat. Call 605-427-2908
© Professional Home Inspection Institute (PHII). All rights reserved.